As part of my coursework at SUNY New Paltz, I explored print and editorial design thorough a semester long project consisting of three parts. We were originally given the essay "The World of Wrestling" by Roland Barnes and were asked to pair the text with two additional text of our choosing to create a connection and inner relation between all sources. "Fighting for an Audience" aims to combine the spectacle and awe of wrestling and it's misinterpretation in conjunction with how the media alters our perception of suffering on a global scale. The book is then translated to newsprint to condense all of the content in the book even further as well as into a promotional video with some of its most notable quote sources.
When putting together this project, I was to investigate the kinds of text I was working with and trying to figure out how the type can convey the story and vibe that I was aiming for. On separate documents, I began to test out different types of typefaces and how they worked as titles, headers, sub headers, bylines, body copy, captions, and more. The fonts that I ended up using for this project consisted of Kaneda Gothic and Utopia Std. Their differences with one being a condensed sans serif font with the other being a classic serif print font I found to have juxtaposed each other in an interesting way.
Once the font styles have been selected, I worked on establishing a grid that would remain consistent throughout the book for all of the selected text. I decided that the entire book would look better if there was to be some padding at the top and bottom of the page so then the entire story can remain "boxed in" throughout the entirety of the book.
The data spreads and a number of images were an exception to this rule that I had established.
Custom Data Visualization
To combine another element of spectacle and performance, I encountered a spreadsheet from Github about college marching band fight songs from the top 5 college football conferences in the country.
The way that the spreadsheet was arranged contained a lot of variables containing yes or no fields, indicating whether or not a song contained a certain aspect of not. I felt that it was important to define what was being measured or indicated in each song and how it can later be represented through simple shapes and colors.
Some personal noted that I took regarding the different measures and identifications from the fight songs spreadsheet. I was mostly also trying to see how data can be conveyed by an instance or the amount of "fight" instances mentioned in the song.
The following spreads consists of how the small multiple visualizations were laid out in Fighting For An Audience. The first spread consists of a how to key legend before the actual display of the data and information in the following two spreads.
I tested out different variation for the design of the book cover. At this stage, I felt that there was not enough contrast between the background color and pages in the book but wanted to test out visual elements and photography instead.
From Book to Newspaper
the newspaper designed tied with the Fighting for An audience is titled, "Fight, Perform, Suffer", which are the three large themes involved in the text of the book. In designing this, I worked with traditional editorial layout concepts while keeping its visual elements aligned with its overall branding. The challenge in putting this together was in containing all of the text from the book into the 8 pages I chose to work with for this part of the project.
The final part of this project was to create a short promotional video for our book and newspaper. The direction that I choose to go with the video vastly differed from my dense, detailed approach that I took with both print aspects of the project. I was inspired by the SNL comedian introductions designed by Pentagram, I wanted to design name introductions for individuals who's quotes I have included in the book and newspaper.
The style of the type for the names are also meant to create a reoccurrence of style with the cover of the newspaper. The video itself is about 20 seconds long and was put together in Adobe After Effects